We are sorry it has been a while since our last update letter. In a few months, we are coming up on 2 years of being here in Barcelona which is crazy for us to believe! While it was filled with many difficult and uncharted times (for the entire world!) we can’t help but look and see how God showed His complete sovereignty and power over everything. He continually provided for our needs here including visa, finances, and guidance as we continue to meet people seeking truth. As we look back and contemplate all that God has done here in Barcelona we are so thankful to each of you for your prayers and support during this time!! Since it has been a while we wanted to give you a summary of what has been going on the past few months.
- After many months of prayer, we rented and furnished an apartment designated for those (within the church) who do not have a place to live. Since the summer of 2019 when we met our now brother-in-Christ, N, we have been praying for the right time to begin investing in an apartment where not only people could live but also where another house church could meet. Praise God He provided!! We found an apartment in our own neighborhood. It was scary at first but we knew the Lord would be faithful to care for this need. It has been 5 months now and currently, two men are living there who are from southeast Asia. There have been many gatherings already at the home full of prayer, worship, and good food. We are so thankful to the Lord for these two men and their hearts to share with people from their own countries.
- Even though there are restrictions on restaurants and stores, we have had no restrictions on going out into the streets to share the Good News of Jesus and give out food. We have been blessed to meet many people over the past month. Many from Central and South America, North Africa, Southeast Asia, and all over Spain. Of these people, many have been open and interested in hearing more about Jesus and reading the Bible!!
- Praise God one of the men in the church chose to take the step of obedience into baptism. It is still a little cold here but he was baptized in the ocean. It was such a beautiful day and we look forward to seeing him grow in the Lord and lead his family to faith.
- We have started reading the Bible with two Hondorian sisters. They have really desired community and growth in the Lord. They have left their families (husband, kids, parents) to come to Spain to make a living and eventually have their families move here to a safer country. It has been a blessing to be able to spend time with them and see the Lord work in their hearts.
- Though the past few months have brought many joys there also have been some hard times. One of which is our brothers (Javier) here is left to go back to his family in Central America. He came here to get a job and provide for his family but with COVID this has become nearly impossible. We were sad to see him go but we know the Lord is faithful to provide and care for him.
- We had an Easter gathering where we as a church invited people who don’t know Jesus to come and join us in celebrating the resurrection of our Lord! It was a really great opportunity to share the Gospel and care for people with food and fellowship. It was a mixture of people from 10 different nations and countless languages spoken amongst them but they all seemed to really enjoy the time together and seemed to be impacted by the work God is doing here.
- Immigrant house: Prayers that the house would be a place of peace and rest for those in need. Also, for salvation amongst Southeast Asians here in our neighborhood.
- Javier: As he returned home this month, please join us in prayer for him to be filled with the peace of the Lord and for reconciliation in his family. Currently, he is trying to regain custody of his kids which has been really painful to walk through.
- Visa renewal: This summer we will have to apply for a new visa to stay here in Spain in the future. Until now we have been on a student visa but we are unable to reapply for this so we will be praying through other options. Please pray for wisdom and discernment over which visa we should pursue. This process can be very lengthy and costly.
- Leaders raised up: Over the past few months we have had some changes in the church here in Barcelona. We are so thankful and blessed the Lord has brought these people here. As we continue moving forward we ask for continual raising up of leaders in the church. We know this work is not in our own doing but is the Lord’s, so we desire to pass off leadership of growing and multiplying house churches.
- Protection and provision for those in our church: There are many people that are a part of the church who are currently unable to find a job here in Barcelona and are expected to provide for their families. Please pray for peace over them during this really hard time.
- Honduran sisters: Please join us in prayer for these ladies as they really miss their families back home and are not sure when they will see them again. Please pray they look for comfort in the Lord.
Last but not least…
We have begun planning our furlough trip and have booked our tickets! We will be back in the US for a few months starting June 22nd. During this time we will be resting, processing visas, reflecting on the past years, and praying/planning our next steps in Spain.
Most importantly we would love the opportunity to meet up with everyone to share how God has used your prayers and support to impact many lives. There has been so much that has not been shared for security purposes and because email is not the best medium for this. We will be reaching out probably over text soon to see if you would be able to meet up.